If you are a borrower affected by the HUD Mortgagee letter please visit this link to tell us your story and how you’ve harmed: For Were You Affected by the New Mortgagee Letter? >>
ABOUT CBC MORTGAGE AGENCY
- CBC Mortgage Agency (CBCMA) provides down payment assistance to borrowers who need help obtaining a home mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).
- Through its down payment program, Chenoa Fund, CBCMA has helped thousands of credit-worthy borrowers achieve the dream of homeownership.
- CBCMA is a subsidiary of Cedar Band Corporation, which is federally chartered and wholly owned by the Cedar Band of Paiutes, a constituent band of the Paiute Tribe of Utah.
HUD’S DEVASTATING NEW RULE
- On April 18, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) released a Mortgagee Letter that effectively outlaws national down payment assistance programs like the Chenoa Fund.
- HUD failed to comply with Executive Order 13175 and HUD’s own policy, which require that federal agencies engage in tribal consultation before they make a policy change that would affect a Native American tribe.
- The Chenoa Fund immediately filed a challenge in federal court, which prompted HUD to put a 90-day hold on its new policy. But the core issue remains unresolved.
- HUD’s action creates chaos for hundreds of borrowers suddenly threatened with the loss of the down payment help they need to close on their home loan.
- HUD claims its new policy would reduce risk to FHA’s Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund, but presented no data to support its position.
DISCRIMINATORY EFFECTS OF MORTGAGEE LETTER
- HUD’s new rule is an example of discriminatory policies that continue to lock minorities in a permanent, renting underclass.
- More than half of CBCMA’s borrowers are African American, Latino, or other people of color who lack sufficient funds to meet the down payment threshold for an FHA-insured loan.
- Data show that minority borrowers rely more heavily than other homebuyers on down payment assistance programs offered by government entities.
- HUD’s action encroaches on tribal sovereignty and contradicts established federal policy of promoting the economic development of American Indian tribes and bands.
For more information, please following the links below. If you would like to lend your support to our efforts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Press Release On Mortgagee Letter
- Press Release On HUD Extension
- Press Release On Lawsuit
- White Paper–What is Behind Mortgagee Letter 2019-06
Show support for a withdrawal of Mortgagee Letter 2019-06
Take Survey And Sign Petition
Withdrawal Letter Templates
- DRAFT Correspondents Letter Trade Associations
- DRAFT Correspondents Letter to HUD Secretary Carson
- DRAFT Correspondents Letter to Crapo-Brown
- DRAFT Correspondents Letter to Waters-McHenry
Key Contact Information
House and Senate
- Find Your House Representative: https://www.house.gov/representatives
- Find Your Senator: https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Senate Banking Committee Correspondents Letter=
- Gregg Richard: Gregg_Richard@banking.senate.gov
- Matt Jones: Matt_Jones@banking.senate.gov
- Megan Cheney: Megan_Cheney@banking.senate.gov
House Financial Services Committee Correspondents Letter
- Clinton Jones: Clinton.Jones@mail.house.gov
- Esther Kahng: Esther.Kahng@mail.house.gov
- Yanna Miles: Yanna Miles@mail.house.gov
- Ed Skala: Ed.Skala@mail.house.gov
- Scott OlsonCMLA
- David HorneHPC
- Ed DeMarco: Edward.
- David Ledford: David.Ledford@
- Roy DeLoach: roydeloach@
- Joe Ventrone: jventrone@
Department of Housing and Urban Development